Junior Specialist/Assistant Specialist
Membrane Transporter Genomics Laboratory of Kathy Giacomini
Department of Bioengineering and Therapeutic Sciences
University of California San Francisco
The Giacomini research group focuses on expanding our understanding of membrane transporters with a particular focus on genetic variation. Membrane transporters are of great biological and pharmacological importance, as they play a major role in human physiology and in drug disposition and response. We are currently looking for a talented Junior Specialist/Assistant Specialist to join our research team under supervision of senior scientist. This position is available through research grant funded by US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to study how antioxidants interact with intestinal transporters. Overall, this position provides the opportunity to help shape our research ventures, ranging from basic discovery to clinical studies.
• Assist senior scientist to perform various membrane transporter assays, deep mutational scanning assays, cell proliferation assay, imaging and molecular biology studies
• Participate in experimental design
• Maintain accurate and detailed documentation of activities
• Assist scientist to maintain laboratory protocols, perform laboratory orders, maintain laboratory equipment
• Communicate research findings to leadership
• Specialists appointed at the junior rank must possess (at the time of hire) a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent degree) in biology, pharmacology or related field with 1-2 years research experience.
• Specialists appointed at the Assistant rank must possess (at the time of hire) a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) in biology, pharmacology or related field or a BS/BA degree with five years of full-time research experience in the relevant specialization.
CV must list pending degree.
• Strong background in molecular biology, cell culture
• Experience with cell biology techniques including immunocytochemistry and Western blot
• Experience in molecular biology skills including DNA/RNA extraction, qPCR, and molecular cloning
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Proven track record of working in collaborative environments
The Giacomini laboratory values diversity, equity and inclusion and strives to provide supportive training opportunities for everyone. While research productivity is expected, researcher is encouraged to explore additional training that will support their career goals and take advantage of networking opportunities within UCSF. Interested candidates should apply online at: https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03941 with CV, and at least 2 reference letters.